- The single most important thing to remember for this procedure is to relax and take it easy for a few days. You may be able to return to normal activities on the day after your surgery. However, if you are having multiple implants placed, you may need to take several days off from work.
- You should expect swelling, bruising, and some discomfort after this procedure. Following postoperative instructions will minimize the discomfort.
- You should place an ice pack over your chin and on the side of your jaw immediately after surgery. Keep this ice pack in place for the first 24 hours. You can make an ice pack by placing ice in a plastic bag wrapped with a light weight towel or cloth. You can also use a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel. The ice reduces swelling.
- You will be given a prescription for pain medication. Please take the medication only as prescribed.
- There is usually only a minimum amount of bleeding following implant procedures. We suggest you leave the gauze or packing in your mouth, which we placed after your surgery, for at least the first 2-3 hours. Change the gauze about every twenty minutes applying pressure over the area and keep your head elevated with pillows.
- Rinse with warm salt water (1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt in 8oz. of warm water) starting the morning after the surgery. Rinse very lightly without swishing. Continue this procedure for about two weeks at least three or four times a day. Caution: Swishing vigorously will tend to slow the healing process.
- Do not chew anything but soft foods for the first two weeks. If you have natural teeth in the area of the mouth not affected by the implant surgery, you can eat normally on those natural teeth. As the soreness goes away you will gradually be able to chew a normal diet.
- Alcoholic beverages seriously slow the healing process in the mouth. It is best that you have no alcoholic beverages at all for the first ten days. It is especially important not to have any alcoholic beverages for the first 72 hours.
In summary, use good common sense in caring for the surgical area during the initial healing period. The implant will be an excellent service to you if it heals properly. All of the above steps will help it heal faster. Do not hesitate to call us at the office if you have any questions. Our phone number is 859-264-1898. After hours 859-684-7